Watford 1-1 Wigan: James McClean earns point for Latics -Dlight News

Keinan Davis scores for Watford against Wigan

Watford and Wigan drew 1-1 at Vicarage Road, a result that went neither to favor with their respective goals at opposite ends of the Sky Bet Championship.

James McClean’s 51st-minute goal gave the visitors a point, after Keinan Davis had given the hosts the lead just before half time.

Fresh off their three-goal win over Birmingham last week, Watford head coach Chris Wilder kept faith with the same starting 11 as they looked to maintain their play-off momentum.

Struggling Wigan made a change from their draw with Coventry, with Tom Naylor coming on for Ashley Fletcher.

The local team should have gone ahead after seven minutes. A long clearance down the field by Daniel Bachmann was left only to defender Ryan Nyambe, who let Joao Pedro in, but the shot could only find the side netting after rounding goalkeeper Ben Amos.

Keinan Davis scores for Watford against Wigan
Keinan Davis scores for Watford against Wigan

A lengthy stoppage saw Charlie Hughes take the pitch for a Watford corner, and the defender was replaced after just 11 minutes by Omar Rekik.

The game was turning into a sticky affair, with Watford usually having the better play; however, his crosses into the area were often outmatched.

Jeremy Ngakia tested the Wigan goal with a volley seven minutes before half-time, but his effort went a span wide.

Wigan offered little at the half, though Danel Sinani fired from outside the box on 42′.

However, the home team finally deservedly took the lead just before the break. Davis collected the ball from Pedro and produced an impressive solo run into the box before firing through a group of defenders.

In an attempt to turn the game in their favor, Wigan replaced Steven Caulker with Callum Lang in the second half.

The substitute played an important role for the visitors six minutes after the restart, when his cross was met by McClean for the equalizer.

Watford continued to be dangerous and Imran Louza shot Amos after some good work from Ken Sema.

The Moroccan saw his crisp shot hit the post just after the hour mark, while Britt Assombalonga’s shot went over the bar 15 minutes later.

Both teams went for the winning effort, helping their position in their respective table positions, which began to leave the tie open.

Lang managed to stretch out Watford’s back line with six minutes remaining, but his shot was weak and Bachmann held off comfortably.

Tempers were frayed in the closing stages, in which Watford head coach Wilder was shown a yellow card in a heated exchange with the Wigan bank.

However, both teams left Vicarage Road with one point each.

Source link